Friday, July 17, 2015

Forming for battle

I felt lazy today and I remembered that I was planning to use orange crates not hardboard for the 1900 bases, don't need the table saw for that. Almost have enough infantry and guns ready for Sunday now.
There were some niggley things rules wise but once I remembered to think in groups even though each stand is a game unit, it all cleared up. Just look at the red coat road column, who cares if the lead company can fight? The other three are blocked. No special rule needed.


Similarly, while I am convinced that a 1:1 relationship between units and grid areas is best, it would require that I make my terrain, boats, vehicles, etc conform to a 3" grid or that I use 2 stand units which I don't want to do and it would make it difficult to handle different troop densities  So I've decided to go back to multiple units per square now that there is no risk of getting confused over which unit a given figure belongs to.

Tomorrow I will paint the last few bases and reset the table for a different scenario for Sunday. Hurrah! Its been too long for these lads.

5 comments:

  1. Presumably that red coat unit forming a 'thin red line' would span 2 grid squares. Is that likely to cause a problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No because each stand is a unit. Max 4 units per square (2x2) They could be spread out in a line of 6 or more squares with gaps and no reserves if need be.

      They are actually organized theoretically as 2 stand battalions, 8 stand + mg + command brigades but for smaller games stands will = companies.

      The rules are still written for 3" squares, had hoped to fix that tonight, didn't happen.

      Delete
  2. Ross - I'm going to have to report you to the SPCA, I know they're only counters, I know they represent larger units in 'real life' but you can't load a donkey like that...full stop!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's no donkey! That's a pure, hybrid, mule! and yes, he is doing the work of 4 donkeys, a regular Atlas or Hercules of the Muke world.!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I thought that was one hardworking draught animal, myself. They must breed 'em hard and strong in... Whereveritis...

    ReplyDelete