Sunday, February 1, 2015

Uh Oh! Peccavi perhaps?

Or in other words, I may have Scinde after all.

 I was rearranging figures on the shelves including the left over over British units from my aborted Scinde campaign and suddenly remembered that there is a good chance that  Historifigs will start re-releasing some of the old 40mm Scruby colonial figures this year. With the War of 1812 almost caught up, the early 20th Century moving along smartly and a few feet of shelf space not fully accounted for,  I might finally be able to get back to that long delayed Indian  question later this year.


Scruby 40mm Native cavalry from Richard Larsen's collection.

To maintain compatibility with the 1812-1837 troops I will plan for Charge! units again, The troops I have are in shell jackets and Havelocks so I think they are close enough to serve as the start of an 1857 force for the Great Mutiny, which was really what I had wanted to do. Perhaps an imaginary Native state inspired by Gwalior rather than one of the main mutineer armies. For the rebels, light cavalry, artillery, militia for native infantry, line infantry for sepoys.  British cavalry as Heavies regardless of title, artillery, British line as Grenadiers, or maybe as line infantry if I want to field more of them. With the sort of odds they could face, I already have enough British to do  for a while but afterwards there are a plethora of interesting uniforms to convert and paint.

This could be fun.
Converted 40mm Scruby, Zinnbrigade, Sash & Saber and original figures storming a fortress in 2009.

8 comments:

  1. "Peccavi !" Has there ever been a group like the British ? I cannot imagine any country's military ever making such a statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that no such telegram was sent but the story is too good not to be true.

      Delete
  2. This is the best news Ross. You have practically all the British figures you need. Add a few sepoys and some native state infantry and you should have enough for Scinde and the Mutiny. I am slowly but steadily working towards the Sikh Wars and the Mutiny myself. I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Mike gets the Scrubies out I'll get something underway this year. Practicslly exciting, its been a long time coming.

      Delete
  3. It's an inspiring period and done in this scale, with your signature style, Ross ... well, like young Kinch, I am all agog with anticipation.
    I had quite forgotten the story of Napier and the peccavi telegram ... would that it were true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. I was hoping that maybe this one wouldn't be in my usual slip shod and improvised style but I'll see what I can manage.

      Delete
  4. Good stuff, Ross. Those Scruby cavalry at the top really caught my eye. Look forward to seeing what you make of this.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I'm looking forward to seeing these available again.

      Delete