Sunday, August 8, 2010

Intermission 2

Five weeks on light duties! I thought I would get a ton of painting and sculpting done but no, hardly managed to lift a brush. However, I'm slowly getting back to it, a colour here, a bit of coat there.

My new Scots don't look likely to win any awards but they should serve well enough when done.


The stubby guy on the left with platform shoes is one of my old Minifigs, next to him is a Hat 28mm for size and then 2 of the partially sculpted Scots who seem to be suffering a degree of scale creep already. . 
At this stage, it'll be Labour Day before I get to mold making but it is progress.

Originally, I was planning to do 2 pike, 2 shot plus officer, ensign and drummer and spare heads then spin cast them but I am far behind schedule and it now looks like mid-late fall before I get my casting equipment set up so I have decided to go with 2 generic figures to be drop cast. Officers etc will then be converted from these.  Luckily, I have seen several old prints of Scots musketeers without apostles so mine will also make do without so that the 2 figures may be finished as either pike or shot..

3 comments:

  1. Ross,

    May we kindly remind you that your "schedule" is to recover your health . . . anything else is a bonus that needs to come AFTER that first task.

    Yes, I know that fiddling with the toys we love is beneficial . . . but recovering your health is paramount. Don't set yourself hobby schedules right now.

    Go ahead and do things, but at a "puttering about" pace . . . and for goodness sake stop when you feel fatigued. Right now REST is important for you so listen to your body.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sir!
    Its actually the bit about watching my wife work and trying to get moved into the house that gives me occasional problems when I forget myself.

    But, I do find it interesting that I found it relaxing to fiddle with rules and push soldiers around a table but couldn't muster the desire to sit at the painting desk till this week. Perhaps painting is more work and less fun than it once was?

    But thanks for the reminder Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find painting is something I do best when I'm already reasonably relaxed; it's not in itself positively therapeutic, it just builds on the existing mental or physical condition.

    On the other hand, thinking about rules and moving figures about, and getting absorbed in it, does seem to work for me as a relaxing distraction, i.e. it effects an improvement.

    Either way, I guess wargaming is small beer and pretty risk-free compared to jobs around the house and garden, where I would imagine more careful judgment would be called for.

    ReplyDelete